My last post about ImageRight covered two defects that we were experiencing that will not show up in the release of version 5.3. However, since they were critical to actually viewing and interacting with images in the system, last week we received the hotfix that address both of those items.
The fix updated five DLL files on the client side and was provided to us as a self-extracting executable file that needed to be ran on each desktop. I’m not a fan of sending executable files to my end users to click on via email, since that encourages some email habits I’d prefer to avoid. Thus, we (meaning my rockin’ programming co-worker) repackaged the hotfix as a MSI file that I could easily deploy via Group Policy. I tested the fix on my desktop and we rolled it out to the rest of the staff the following morning for installation at the next desktop reboot.
One little caveat that would have been nice to know ahead of time… Once a user has the fix installed, ANY .tif document they add to the system will cause a “red X” error on a non-fixed ImageRight client.
I discovered this after installing the fix on my machine and then adding in some expense reports for processing. I then had to go over and install the hotfix on an accounting computer so my tasks could be processed. Going forward, that user would create documents than everyone else in the office wouldn’t be able to view until they had the hotfix. So it’s imperative that this particular fix be rolled out en mass, so users don’t see even more errors.
Overall, kudos to the ImageRight Support team and the developers for working hard to make sure that ImageRight continues to work for us.