- @edbott – Why Windows 10 isn’t version 6 anymore and why it will probably work. Nice explainer from @drpizza http://ars.to/1tb8eRQ
- @WIRED – A definitive ranking of the most important characters in the “Hunger Games” franchise http://wrd.cm/1r6ewl7http://t.co/XBtueePekX
- @99u – What your passwords say about you: http://nyti.ms/1yYKcgD
- @stevenbjohnson – Terrific backstory from @StevenLevy on the origins of “information wants to be free” (entirely news to me): https://medium.com/backchannel/the-definitive-story-of-information-wants-to-be-free-a8d95427641c?curator=MediaREDEF
- @ruthm – Windows 10, OneDrive sync and the art of difficult conversations | ZDNet http://ow.ly/EyAs3
- @RangerStation – How a Deaf Couple Had Their Baby Officially Registered with a Sign Name http://shar.es/1XsySc via @sharethis
- @BBCNewsMagazine – This intricate pop-up medical textbook is nearly 500 years old http://bbc.in/1vliHk1 http://t.co/8aPvNzRDQX
- @beckynagel – The world’s biggest chocolate-maker says we’re running out of chocolate http://wapo.st/1zqKCgz
- @afreshspace – Digital tools for remote workers…some of my faves on here! http://buff.ly/1EK3s5f
- @MichaelBender – Amazing video on creative experience on #SurfacePro3 with #adobe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLR9ANGsOo
- @HeikeRitter – Freaking awesome! Mobile Azure Manager for Windows Phone is NOW available! Manage your #Azure stuff “on the go” http://ow.ly/DKxBq
- @windowsserver – Want to understand Active Directory Federation Services at a deeper level? Then this blog post is for you! #MSPFE http://cic.ms/bSmQnH
- @bbnetman – Number 1 Reason to Upgrade to PowerShell 4.0: Desired State Configuration – Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2014/10/24/number-1-reason-to-upgrade-to-powershell-4-0-desired-state-configuration.aspx?linkId=10187347
- @2600 – A fairly decent BBC piece on the hacker world http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28214646
September starts to mark the end of summer for me in my mind, even if the weather might not completely agree. So as students return to school, the leaves begin to turn and all the fall fashions start to make their way into the storefronts, I bring you some highlights from this summer on the Internet, via tweets.
- @thomasclaudiush (Aug 19) – Blogged: How a #Surface RT became the most reliable server in our house: http://www.thomasclaudiushuber.com/blog/2014/08/19/how-the-surface-rt-became-the-most-reliable-server-in-our-house-co-starring-azure-and-windows-phone/ #wpdev #windev #winrt #windows /cc @surface
- @girlgerms (Aug 17) – New blog post! See, I *TOLD* you it was coming! “AD Security & Administration – righting the right rights” (http://girl-germs.com/?p=459 ) #fb
- @JeffHicks (Aug 6) – How to Create a Windows 8 USB Recovery Disk http://ift.tt/1odxNEc #Petri
- @pzerger (Aug 1) – Day 1: Intro to PowerShell DSC and Configuring Your First Pull Server: Welcome to Day 1 of the “100 Days of DevOps… http://bit.ly/1m7N4AK
- @nhawkins (May 12) – New blogpost – Super pumped about Azure Site Recovery: http://www.nickahawkins.com/2014/05/microsoft-azure-site-recovery-announced/
Social / Culture
- @WIRED (Aug 2) – The weird reasons why people make up false identities on the Internet http://wrd.cm/1zEBi9d
- @WIRED (Jul 24) – The Fasinatng … Frustrating … Fascinating History of Autocorrect http://www.wired.com/2014/07/history-of-autocorrect/
- @joe_elway (Jun 25) – The Daily Show researches the intolerance shown towards “Glass Explorers” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvI9fZaz6M … #Google
- @grantimahara (Jun 7) – Take heed, brethren. An entertaining and very logical analysis of the whole “fake geek girl” phenomenon. http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2014/06/06/fake-geek-girls-fiction-or-reality-video/#31s9y5wHYYWJIpAu.01 …
- @kathrynschulz (May 13) – In an accident, should your self-driving car veer right to kill you or left to kill 2 strangers? http://goo.gl/mYXTmK Dark & fascinating.
- @MarleeMatlin (Aug 19) – This is so FANTASTIC!!! Pharrell’s ‘Happy’ Is Even Happier in Sign Language http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pharrells-happy-is-happier-sign-726488 … via @THR
Science / Tech
- @WIRED (Aug 12) – How isolation units contain the world’s deadliest diseases http://wrd.cm/1ppPgZk
- @adfskitteh (Aug 3) – RT @danpi: How do we relate Cloud services to food? Pizza as a Service of course! pic.twitter.com/HvWfeb9mu6 => Best. Cloud. Analogy. EVER.
- @noblewb (Aug 1) – NASA tested an impossible space engine and it somehow worked http://theverge.com/e/5723678 via @verge
- @engadget (Jul 27) – Microsoft explains quantum computing in a way we can all understand http://engt.co/1AdQFqs
- @macsound (Jun 18) – Interesting video focusing on technical data from Challenger. I’ve learned heaps. http://vimeo.com/97129318
- @melodybliss (Jun 17) – Building the Part of Facebook No One Ever Sees http://fb.me/2Grml8b7k
Yes, these really are tweets from yesterday. I found myself marking a lot more tweets as “favorites” for reading in the future so I figured I’d share them.
- @macsound – Interesting video focusing on technical data from Challenger. I’ve learned heaps. http://vimeo.com/97129318
- @CoreySandersWA – Yu-Shun’s blog is a great step-by-step walk on how to set-up a cross-region network connection. Check it out. http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/06/17/vnet-to-vnet-connecting-virtual-networks-in-azure-across-different-regions/
- @markmorford – I just wrote an actual paragraph about expensive digital toilets that are susceptible to hackers. Life is amazing. http://fb.me/2ZvkOu5JJ
- @SFoskett – Good Read: Switch Prices Will Get Cheaper. Design Models Will Change. http://bit.ly/1i8FdXo
- @VirtualChrista – @WindowsITPro: Is Excel the Next Killer BI App? http://ow.ly/yaPby <I'm storytelling with analytics these days. This is worth a read
It wouldn’t be the last day in 2013 without some kind of recap, now would it? Sometimes I wonder about some of the things that pass me by in the fire hose of information on the Internet these days, so maybe you missed something here! (Some techy, some not!)
@WIRED – Jonathan Coulton explains how Glee ripped off his cover song — and why he’s not alone. http://oak.ctx.ly/r/21k1
- Safer Online by MSFT
@Safer_Online – Looking for a great way to teach your toddler #OnlineSafety? Look no further than “Digiduck’s Big Decision.” http://bit.ly/XpCfNX #PDF
- Elecia White
@logicalelegance – Why is the best book I’ve read lately about Rabies? Good book, neater subject than I expected. http://www.amazon.com/Rabid-Cultural-History-Worlds-Diabolical/dp/0670023736/
- Ben Goodman
@benontech – Boxes sealed with ATHEIST tape lost by USPS 10X more often than controls – This will make @samj ‘s head explode http://bgis.me/16YcUSI
- Stephen Foskett
@SFoskett – Good read: The truth about the TSA’s pointless knife fight http://bit.ly/XuPPjy
- Leaping Woman
@leapingwoman – Today my kid sister sent me the link to @zefrank’s chillout song. Her timing couldn’t have been better http://j.mp/ZTRHlA
@BuzzFeed – 19 photos you’ll have to explain to your kids one day http://bzfd.it/YFQTH4 pic.twitter.com/Eb3saRW7dA
- Hans Vredevoort
@hvredevoort – New blog on how to use Boot from VHDX to quickly take advantage of #WinServ #12R2 and Windows 8.1: http://www.hyper-v.nu/archives/hvredevoort/2013/06/windows-server-2012-r2-and-windows-8-1-boot-from-vhdx/ … #TEE13 #teched
@mars_seven – The Pixar Theory: Every Character Lives in the Same Universe http://zite.to/12tJJG0 via @zite
- Marques Lyons
@tromboneforhire – RT @MSFTnews: Kinect connects sign-language users with their computers http://spr.ly/6016Znuu
- In the Cloud
@InTheCloudMSFT – IT Pros, trust me on this: it’s well worth your time to read this post about apps, dev tools, & how to lead. http://aka.ms/og659z
- Melody Bliss
@melodybliss – Don’t text & drive – From One Second To The Next – Texting While Driving Documentary – Werner Herzog http://youtu.be/Xk1vCqfYpos
@laen – http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/05/government-betrayed-internet-nsa-spying … <– The US Government has betrayed the Internet. We need to take it back, an essay by @Bruce_Schneier
- The Doctor
@virtadpt – Male #knitting in a coffee shop questioned by #police, turns out very differently than expected: https://madmanknitting.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/i-was-questioned-by-the-police/ …
- Heather Akers-Healy
@abbynormative – Extremely interesting read: Acquiring Forensic Evidence from Infrastructure-as-a-Service Cloud Computing http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~dykstra/DFRWS_Dykstra.pdf … #NSA
@WIRED – Bye bye. These are tech sounds you’ll never hear again. http://wrd.cm/1iVJisc #WIREDclassic
- Bill Oakley
@thatbilloakley – Describing today to someone from 1953: Every six seconds all your friends send you a telegram and a brand new LIFE magazine is thrown at you
@WIRED – The IT department is dead. Long live the IT department http://wrd.cm/1feuZyy
- Daniel Donda
@DanielDonda – How to Install Hyper-V on a Virtual Machine in Hyper-V – Gilson Banin – Microsoft Premier Field… http://fb.me/6ASPg6REU
- Dane Jasper
@dane – “This 100-year-old deal birthed the modern phone system. And it’s all about to end.” http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/12/19/this-100-year-old-deal-birthed-the-modern-phone-system-and-its-all-about-to-end/
Here’s to another year of sharing information!
I often use the “favorite” feature of Twitter as a quick way to bookmark links I want to read more closely or visit again. It’s always interesting to see what I thought needed a second look. Here are a few related to technology or science:
- 5/9/13, @wired – Computer guts get an eerie makeover. http://bit.ly/17SnmdY
- 4/17/13, @acardwell – Just saw this GE ad and wow – does GE not get that Agent Smith was the bad guy and that the matrix is a bad thing? http://youtu.be/loinY8MmVq8
- 4/17/13, @thurrott – Microsoft Account Gets Enhanced Security http://bit.ly/11w70ok
- 4/16/13, @wired – Microsoft wants to be more like Amazon. And Amazon wants to be more like Microsoft. http://oak.ctx.ly/r/41n8
- 4/11/13, @expta – Individual Fix for Exchange Soft Delete Problem Proves Worth of Support Contracts http://bit.ly/Zky7zY #MSExchange #IamMEC
- 3/13/13, @ExchServPro – Google Reader. You can (a) protest loudly, or (b) start moving your critical needs away from Google’s services. I’m going with (b) I think.
- 11/17/12, @mars_seven – Top 10 Active Directory Tasks Solved with PowerShell http://zite.to/S5T67R via @zite
- 8/30/12, @rdfrs – “Bionic eye goes live in world first by Australian researchers” – Kate Hagan – http://theage.com.au http://bit.ly/OB2Jvt
- 8/12/12, @anca – For @menslow: A child’s skull, before their milk teeth fall out. This is freakier than all the Alien films combined. pic.twitter.com/ru7nCOy6
- 8/19/11, @afranq – How to Win at Rock, Paper, Scissors – http://kiq.me/F5Z
This year, I’m a co-chair for the PacITPro’s TechDays SF. If you didn’t attend this event in 2012, you should take a close look at what we are offering this May. The event is two days and we are offering multiple tracks with a variety of sessions on Windows Server, Client, Cloud and PowerShell all for the bargin price of $300. Please visit www.techdays.org for more information or to register.
We are also using EventBoard Mobile for easy access to the most up to date information and schedule. I recommend downloading that app for your Windows Phone, iPhone or Android.
Our speakers include some very well-known, knowledgable folks who’ve spoken at other popular conferences like TechMentor and TechEd. Most of them have Twitter handles – if you aren’t following these people yet, I’m sure you’ll find some interesting enough to add to your list.
- @VirtualChrista – From Microsoft, Christa Anderson will be presenting two sessions, “Delivering Applications with Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2012” and “The User Configuration Cage Match”.
- @scevans – Steve Evans will be presenting “IIS: Choose Your Own Adventure” and “Designing Hyper-V for the Real World”.
- @nhawkins – Nick Hawkins will be co-presenting “Designing Hyper-V for the Real World” with @scevans.
- @grouppolicyguy – Darren Mar-Elia will be breaking out of his Group Policy shell to bring you “!0 Tips for Success with Private Cloud”.
- @gblock – Glenn Block will be lighting up the room with “Managing the Cloud from the Command Line”.
- @alexandair – Joining us from Serbia, Aleksandar Nikolic will be presenting “Remote Management of Windows Server 2012 with Windows PowerShell”.
- @cacallahan – For those of you who support or dabble in SharePoint, CA Callahan will join us again to bring you two sessions on SharePoint 2013.
- @ubergeekgirl – Our fearless leader of PacITPros in Southern California, Jessica DeVita will be part of the Women in Technology panel discussion. Joining her will be @adfskitteh, @VirtualChrista and me, @jkc137.
- @KevinRemde – Also from Microsoft, Kevin Remde will bring us “Windows 8 Deployment” for those of you planning to move beyond Windows 7 and “Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V”.
- @chrisavis – Often PacITPros’ host for our monthly meetings at Microsoft’s office, Chris Avis will be bringing us two session on Azure, including Azure IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service).
- @mminasi – Mark Minasi, one of the household names for those of us reading technical books, will be presenting several sessions, so be sure to put one on your schedule: “Manage Server 2012 Like a Pro or, Better, Like an Evil Overlord!”, “Changes to Storage in Windows 2102: Storage Gets a Bit SANer”, “Understanding Dynamic Access Control: the File Share Recharged, Reimaged and Compliance-Enabled”.
- @richardhicks – If you are looking for the latest in Remote Access, don’t miss Richard Hicks and his “Next Generation Remote Access with Windows Server 2012 DirectAccess” session.
- @richcampbell – Richard Campbell will be presenting “People, Process, Tools – The Essence of DevOps” as well as host the Run As Radio: Women in Technology Panel
- @adfskitteh – Part of the Idenity & Access Management team at Microsoft, Laura Hunter will be covering “Strong Authentication for BYOD” and “How Microsoft Has Adopted Office 365 and Azure”
- @JeffHicks – Need more PowerShell? Choose from “Troubleshooting Active Directory with Windows PowerShell”, “10 PowerShell Mistakes, Trips and Traps and How to Avoid Them” and “File and Folder Provisioning with PowerShell and Windows Server 2012”. Want more Hyper-V? Learn how to “Build a Windows 8 Hyper-V Lab”
We have a few other speakers in the works and are looking forward to putting on a great event, please join us – you won’t be disappointed!